Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Preparation Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 4-8 hours|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pounds stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound baby red potatoes (quartered)
- 4 carrots (cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until evenly browned.
- Place beef, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, paprika, caraway seeds and bay leaves until well combined; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup stew broth. Stir in flour mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.