- 1 package instant yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cane sugar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In a large sauce pan, heat the almond milk and 3 tbsp butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool, it should be warm.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes, then add 1 tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Do not overmix. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, until it has doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 tbsp melted butter and top with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 - 1 tbsp cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife, cut the dough into 1.5 - 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8" square pan (you should have about 10 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 tbsp melted butter and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and continue beating. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time.